So much of our life is wasted on worry, anger, pain, hurt, envy and regret. While some of it is necessary and inevitable, most of it is usually the drama in our heads… we waste our energy sweating over things that don’t even really matter. The more life you experience, the more you learn. The more you work, the more you understand. Life will always bring challenges… whether at work or at home. To make life truly meaningful and worthwhile, it is important to take life lessons from others even as you create your own path. Some lessons that have stood me in good stead over the years working in diverse careers and with different people and cultures are:
- Life is in the NOW. The past is really over…and the future is not promised to anyone. Don’t wait for amazing things to happen in life… learn to appreciate and love what you have. That doesn’t mean you stop from doing things to create your amazing life! Also you may not be in the perfect job right now, your business may not look good but that shouldn’t stop you from giving your 100 percent.
- Fear is an illusion. Most things we fear actually never happen. And if they do happen, it’s rarely as bad as we fear it to be. In fact most tough experiences teach us about our strengths and make us better human beings. Challenges in work can be daunting… do not look for easy solutions. Face whatever you must with confidence, patience and faith.
- Things gather dust. Accumulating money and things often feels like achievement or catharsis. But it rarely is. The less stuff you have, the more free you are. Money is important but what you do with it is even more significant. Purchase consciously. Spend effectively. Use resources properly. Take on businesses that make you come alive. Be on boards of organizations that you believe in. Undertake projects that have a wider social impact. Make meaningful contribution through your work.
- Relationships matter most. At the end of the day, it’s all about the people in your life. Take time to listen, have stimulating conversations, show empathy. You can’t change anyone, neither can you control relationships. Embrace differences and honour individuality. Small expressions of kindness can have enormous impact on people’s lives. Your family, your coworkers, your boss, your friends, your supplier, the peon – each person in your life must be valued.
- It’s never too late. Anything can be accomplished at any age and despite any circumstance you may be in. Do not give up on your dreams however simple or complex. You may not always achieve great things but you would have the satisfaction of having tried. Age is just a number. Your chronological age must never define you… Don’t allow a number to hold you back from experiencing life, building your brand, starting a new venture, choosing to retire at 40, or being the person you really are inside!